- The peanut frenzy was just the beginning- here come the rest of the the maggots, bugs and rodents in your packaged foods, all conveniently overlooked by the FDA. "In case you’re curious: you’re probably ingesting one to two pounds of flies, maggots and mites each year without knowing it, a quantity of insects that clearly does not cut the mustard, even as insects may well be in the mustard." Fucking awesome!!! (NYT Opinions; via Tyson).
- NYC Restaurant Week extended through next Friday 2/27. I want to go to Devi! (Open Table)
- A day in the life of the Kogi BBQ Truck in LA. From 9am to 4am, these cats hustle hard! (Robyn Lee at Serious Eats)
- Friday is Sidewalk Samosa Day in Midtown East, NYC- $1 samosas by Kanaat restaurant (Midtown Lunch)
- Dear diary, I really wanted a yellow diamond for Valentine's Day, and all I got was a BACON LAMPSHADE!!! (Flickr; via Guy K.)
- Heartthrob of the Week: American Idol contestant Anoop Desai, who wrote his senior thesis on North Carolina BBQ (Chapter 6- Barbeque as Religion). HOT. He made it to the top 36 and performs tonight so please text in your votes for AnoopDog- HOLLA!!!(Adam Kuban at Serious Eats)
- Wisconsin Cheese Cupid- now a free iPhone app to help you pair your wines and beers with cheeses. Let's all try this out!
- Dear Diary, I really wanted a bacon lampshade for Valentine's Day and all I got was this this huge clunky plastic thing for microwaving bacon!!! (via Brian C.)
Top photo by Travis over at Pistols Drawn: "The Doubletree gives you a delicious warm chocolate chip cookie at check in. This time I also got free internet." Awesome tip!
The Umami Reader brings you the freshest food news every Tuesday, however outdated it may be. Please email links to what you're reading to email@example.com