- Calling all food vendors! The Greenpoint Food Market launches in NYC on September 12. They're taking submissions now!!!
- Butchers as "sex symbols with cleavers." I'm a little ambivalent about this, but it's a good report. (ABC; via Amy T.)
- Whole Foods CEO's plea against Obama's healthcare reform. Paul Krugman, ok, I get it, I respect you and I'll read you- but jesus, who gave this guy a pen???? (Wall Street Journal)
- Absolutely the awesomest blog post about a meal at El Bulli. (Amateur Gourmet; via Christy J.)
- The Hollywood-style story behind Dave's Killer Bread out of Portland. Bad brother joins good brother in the family baking business and turns the company into a $12 million dollar machine. It's a bit long but worth the read! (Inc.)
- San Francisco's famed Lombard Street turned into a Candyland gameboard for a day this week. How fun would it have been to be one of those kids! (ABC)
- Above photo: are these not the cutest little artichokes you have ever seen??? From the Santa Barbara farmer's market. By Tati B.
The Umami Reader brings you the freshest food news, however outdated it may be. Please email links to what you're reading to email@example.com. Follow UM on Twitter for 24/7 updates.