This is a Shochu Gumi selection! It was featured in March 2021.
Founded in 1688 as a sake brewery, Madonoume began making barley shochu in 1965. Aged for 15 years in charred, former sherry barrels, this exceptional shochu is made with local water from the Kase River, with Nijo Omugi (two-rowed barley). Madonoume began aging their shochus in wood barrels 25 years ago. Get earthy notes of honeysuckle, green grass, and apricot. It’s the perfect accompaniment with Oakland Soba Ichi’s Gyu Maki (beef rolls) or with Cow Girl Creamery Mt. Tam cheese and a tin of Crown Prince smoked oysters. Enjoy on the rocks or oyuwari (with warm water).
- Distilled in Saga, Japan at Madonoume Brewery
- Distilled from 100% Nishihoshi mugi (barley)
- ABV 25% / Koji: White (barley) / Distillation: Vacuum
- Barrels: Charred French oak, ex-Sherry casks
- Age: 15 years
- Limited production: 10,000 bottles
- 25.3 fl oz (750ml)