This Kikka rice donabe is made specifically for cooking rice easily. It features ridges inside which show how much water to add for each go (cup measurement for rice). It's also very simple to use: add rice and corresponding amount of water, cover and heat. Once the steam begins to escape from the hole, turn off the heat and wait. Perfect rice awaits in about 20 minutes.
The Kikka series is a lighter structure which can be brought to boil much more quickly than some heavier donabe. They are also known for retaining the heat for longer after it has been turned off, owing to high quality petalite (a stone known for heat expansion) used in production.
This Donabe comes from Ginpo Co., a maker of heat-resistant cookware in Yokkaichi City of Mie prefecture. They pride themselves on fully integrated production, a system in which the whole life-cycle of the product, from raw material selection to kiln-firing, takes place at the company with no outsourcing.
Note: The use of red clay and the composition of the black glaze makes these donabes less porous, so no pre-seasoning or sealing is necessary.
- Dimensions: 7-5/8"D
- 2-go (cups of rice)
- Material: Ceramic
- Made in Shiga, Japan
- Dry the bottom of the pot with a cloth before placing on the stove
- Don’t soak the entire pot in water to clean
- Dry completely after cleaning and store in a cool dark place to avoid mold growth
- Remove stains with kitchen-grade bleach
- Use a trivet to avoid scratching your table top
- Oven + microwave safe
- Can be used on gas stoves
- Do not use on electric or induction cooktops
- Do not use for deep frying