We searched far and wide for a donabe that is compatible on an electric or induction cooktop, and here it is! This classic donabe has a nice bulbous shape with a roomy interior – best used for making rice, or a shabu-shabu party with your favorite people!
The famed Bankoyaki is a style from Mie prefecture, dating back to the 1700s. The clay for this donabe from the Banko area is heat resistant due the clay containing 45-55% petalite, a high silica content feldspar, which tolerates heat with minimal expansion.
Donabe is a traditional Japanese earthenware cooking pot that it is meant to be placed directly onto a flame (or in this case a heat source) to cook nabemono or one-pot dishes like sukiyaki, oden, and yosenabe. A well-loved donabe can last for years, and the best part of cooking in a donabe is the experience. Made for communal cooking, it's best enjoyed with a group of friends or family. This donabe can serve about four to five people.
- Dimensions: 10 3/4"D
- Includes metal plate for induction or electric stove use
- Material: Ceramic
- Made in Mie prefecture, Japan
- Dry the bottom of the pot with a cloth before placing on the stove
- Don’t soak the entire pot in water to clean
- Dry completely after cleaning and store in a cool dark place to avoid mold growth
- Remove stains with kitchen-grade bleach
- Use a trivet to avoid scratching your table top
- Oven + microwave safe
- Can be used on gas stoves, electric or induction cooktops
- Do not use for deep frying
- Do not use on commercial stovetops
Use on Electric or Induction Stovetops
- Put plate inside with tab facing up
- Dry plate completely when done
- 1.4 kilowatt minimum (can not use on cook top that is 1.3W and under)
- NEVER USE METAL PLATE ON GAS STOVES
How to Season Your Donabe
This method will seal the microscopic pores of the clay to prevent breakage and avoid stains and odors from seeping into the pot.
- Fill the donabe to about 80% with water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Bring to boil for 10 minutes.
- Discard and rinse with water.
- Dry it with a clean cloth and allow to air dry completely overnight before first use.