We're hiring a shopkeeper! Umami Mart is a retail store, bottle shop, and tasting bar that specializes in drinks, design + Japan, seeking a hard-working and knowledgeable team member.
This position will be at our shop located in Oakland, California and will be for at least 16-24 hours per week, under the direct supervision of our Manager Chris. Applicants must be able to work a minimum of 2-4 days a week, filling in as-needed. One weekend day is mandatory. This is a non-exempt hourly position. We are an expanding company and there will be opportunities for career growth and merit-based raises.
Umami Mart seeks out a Shop Keeper Assistant who:
- Enjoys being part of a small, but growing team. Wants to be a key player in Umami Mart's growth.
- Is genuinely interested in the products we carry. (bartender tools, ceramics, whisky, sake, shochu, beer, etc.). A passion for food, drink, design, and Japan is not required, but is a definite plus.
- Is punctual and reliable.
- Can lift up to 50 lbs., take out the trash, get dirty, etc.
- Can take direction easily and open to constructive criticism.
- Can communicate and build relationships with customers.
- Has a strong work ethic.
- Has a flexible schedule; can potentially take on more days.
- Confident with working on their own and/or with a team.
- Able to multitask and prioritize responsibilities.
- Retail experience a plus.
- Welcoming customers and being attentive to their needs and requests.
- Learning about new products and understanding how they work.
- Opening and closing the shop, helping customers, creating gift sets, ringing up customers.
- Tallying cash drawer at the beginning and end of the day; matching against the day’s sales.
- Maintaining shop cleanliness, including spot-cleaning, mopping, dusting, straightening product, restocking product on sales floor.
- Making sure all items are priced.
- Packing online orders.
- Ordering stock and supplies for the shop.
- Unpacking deliveries, receiving items, stocking items accordingly.
- Experience with email correspondence and knowledge of email etiquette preferred.
Pay is $16/hr. A 60-day evaluation period will apply.
Please contact us with any questions or email us your resume AND cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.