Umami Mart seeks a friendly and responsible team member to fill a hybrid, seasonal role supporting both the front of the house and Umami Mart Bar program staff. This will be at our shop located at 4027 Broadway in Oakland. This position will be for Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays (8 hours shifts each day), with extra shifts in November and December during the holiday season (applicant must be available with no plans to be out of town between November 19 through December 24). We are a small team, offering a dynamic work environment and fun perks!
Pay is $19 per hour, depending on experience. After a three-month probationary period, tips from bar sales split with non-management FOH staff depending on skillset of employee. New Shopkeeper Assistants will go through a 90-day evaluation period. During this period attendance will be assessed. Tardiness is not tolerated – you get two warnings, and the third time results in termination. We have a zero tolerance policy for drinking or drugs on the job.
This is a non-exempt hourly position. We are a small but expanding company and there will be opportunities for career growth and merit-based raises. We require your full support and availability between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve season.
Umami Mart seeks a team member who:
- Enjoys being part of a small, but growing team. Wants to be a key player in Umami Mart's growth.
- Delivers excellent, friendly service to our customers.
- Ensures delivery of excellent customer service in store, via email, and on the phone
- Willingness to try out a variety of tasks, not necessarily outlined here, as needed by circumstance
- Is genuinely interested in the products we carry. (bartender tools, ceramics, whisky, sake, shochu, beer, etc.).
- Is willing to develop their knowledge and experience with Japanese spirits and convey that knowledge to guests through bottle sales and bar service.
- Is punctual and reliable. Two warnings, third time being late results in termination.
- Strong (can schlep up to 50 lbs, take out the trash, etc.). Lots of schlepping!
- Not afraid to get dirty; this is a physically demanding job including moving boxes, cleaning floors, being around dumpsters.
- Can take direction easily and open to constructive criticism.
- Can communicate and build relationships with customers.
- Has a strong work ethic.
- Has a flexible schedule; can potentially take on more days.
- Confident with working on their own and/or with a team. Self-direction is a plus.
- Able to multitask and prioritize responsibilities.
- Retail experience is a plus.
- Experience serving alcoholic drinks is a plus.
- Takes ownership of their work.
- Loves to clean and organize (surfaces and bathrooms need frequent cleaning).
- Welcoming customers and being attentive to their needs and requests. Giving excellent customer service over the phone and online, and at the bar.
- Receiving vendor shipments from delivery personnel. Signing for deliveries.
- Lots of schlepping! Boxes can be up to 50 lbs.
- Cleaning bathroom, bar and common areas
- Opening and closing the shop, helping customers, ringing up customers
- Maintaining shop cleanliness, including spot-cleaning, mopping, dusting, straightening product, restocking product on sales floor
- Making sure all items are priced
- Making gift sets
- Supporting retail, ship, and bar team as needed
- Experience with email correspondence and knowledge of email etiquette preferred
- Keep the shop and bar clean and organized according to UM standards.
- Stay abreast of current BTG offerings and new releases to confidently sell to our shop customers and bar guests.
- Maintain a kind, fun, and welcoming atmosphere for our bar guests and regular customers.
- Be able support for other primary bartenders as needed. Fill in as primary bartender during breaks
- Trash and Recycling after each shift
- Learning about products and how to use them
- Learning about sakes, drinks, and how to best consume them.
Please contact us with any questions or email us your resume AND cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!