Shochu Gumi is Umami Mart’s quarterly club celebrating Japan’s distilled beverage.
Join the one-and-only club featuring shochu, one of Japan's best kept secrets! Shochu is relatively unknown in the States, while it has been around for over 500 years in Japan, primarily made in the southern islands of Kyushu. Discover new and exciting shochus and awamoris from Japan that are introduced to clubmates first – before they hit our shelves at the shop. Geek out over shochu with this special club!
Here's what you get:
- Receive 2 bottles of shochu quarterly with tasting notes and food pairing suggestions. Each shochu is hand-picked by Kayoko Akabori, Co-Founder of Umami Mart and certified Shochu Advisor
- Explore limited-edition, special order bottles of shochu, exclusive to members
- Join us for exclusive members-only tastings and special events
- 10% off shochu + sakes and shochu + sake wares in the shop and online
- Get your very own Shochu Gumi sturdy 2-bottle canvas tote + a copy of our zine, Sake + Shochu Talk
The fine print:
- A 1-year membership is required.
- Subscriptions are shipped or ready for pickup Mar 1st, June 1st, Sept 1st, Dec 1st.
- We offer in-store pick up or shipping, which occurs quarterly.
- Your credit card will be charged the day that you submit your order for your first delivery/ pick-up, then Mar 1st, June 1st, Sept 1st, Dec 1st. The bill date can not be changed.
- At checkout you can opt to pick up at our Oakland shop directly, or get your bottles delivered to your doorstep via FedEx or UPS Ground. We will hold shochus for up to 60 days for all members who have chosen in-store pick-up. If you need us to hold your shochu for over 60 days, please email us. After 60 days of no contact, we will assume that the customer has forfeited their shochus.
We can not deliver alcoholic products to ND, NS, NH, UT, MS, AL, VT, KY.
- The shipping price will be charged monthly in addition to the monthly subscription price.
- Shipping costs may increase over time.
- By placing an order, you represent that you are at least 21 years of age.
- Adult Signature required upon delivery (government regulations).
- No membership fee.
- You may skip scheduled delivery/ pick-up or cancel your club membership after one year by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us at 510-250-9559. All changes must be communicated and confirmed by the last day of the month for them to go into effect immediately.