Casa de Kei: Uni + Tobiko Pasta
Ladies and gentlemen, meet Keisuke aka Kid Skwid, my beloved brother. He has recently been promoted to sous chef at the famed Spago restaurant in Beverly Hills. Congrats, K! And lucky for us, he will grace the pages of Umami Mart regularly, with simple yet fancypants recipes taken from his impressive home-cooked breakfasts on his Instagram feed (@kidskwid5). Make sure to follow him, like and comment on his photos -- the more popular photos will be featured here and he'll show us exactly how to prepare the dishes. They're so easy you can make it before 9am! Enjoy! -Kayoko
Uni and Tobiko Pasta
with hand made pasta, spring onions, sudachi juice +zest and micro herbs
Prep time: 20 minutes
10 pieces of uni (I used Santa Barbara uni for this dish)
2 oz tobiko (flying fish roe)
2 small bulbs of spring onion (sliced)
1 sudachi (zest first, then juiced; use a lemon if sudachi is unavailable)
1/2 bag tagliatelle pasta (or make your own!)
2 tbl white wine
2 tbl butter
2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
Microgreens or shiso
1. Boil water with a couple tablespoons of salt.
2. Add oil to the pan and get it hot. Add spring onion, slightly carmelize.
3. Add half of the uni and half of the tobiko, and gently stir for 30 seconds. Add butter until it melts.
4. Deglaze pan with wine and the juiced sudachi, toss it around to incorporate all flavors. Add a pinch of salt if needed and a pinch of black pepper.
5. When water comes to a boil, cook the pasta to al dente. Add pasta to pan, mix the sauce in with the noodles.
6. Garnish with the rest of uni, tobiko and zest of sudachi. Sprinkle microgreens on top!!
I'm still tweaking my recipe for making pasta, but here's what I do now: 3 eggs, 3 cups flour, pinch salt, a little oil and little water. Knead for 10 minutes and put through pasta machine on spaghetti mode.